Wednesday, February 13, 2008

like politics, sustenance can be local too

I recently finished reading Barbar Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and it has me looking at the food I eat in totally different ways. After Papa Seal and I talked about the book (I summed it up for him, it's not about electrical engineering, financial management, sailing or pedagogy so, therefore, not his thing), we decided that we should try and do our part to (at the very least) support local farmers and do what we can to lessen our impact on the planet and all of that. We aren't going to any extremes or anything, but we wanted to do our part. To that end, we figured going to the farmer's market at the soon-to-open food co-op was a good place to start.

Not only is local sustainabilty good for the local economy and our health, it's fun!

The seal pup was a little overwhelmed by all the people (hey, lots of people want to do their part); but he was very interested in the violinist (live classical music, culture while you shop consciously).
It was surprising to find out what was growing "in season" here in the dead of winter, a truly exciting time to live in New England (no, not so much).

Of course, my favorite thing were the baked goods.

We were all proud of ourselves for being so responsible, and then I went to the big box grocery store and bought some strawberries shipped in from California. They were so pretty and I wanted to make something red to celebrate Valentine's Day. I felt a smidge guilty, until I tasted it. Guilt gone.
Have a Happy Valentine's Day!

4 comments:

The "M" Family said...

Yes...I think with a tasty looking treat like that one, my guilt would have subsided quickly, as well! We try to get to the farmer's market as much as we can (to support the locals, as well), but I don't have the urge to drive that far...

Katie said...

Looks like fun, Nova. I went to our local farmer's market in the summer and it was 3 pick up trucks with fruit & veggies in the truck bed. ??? I guess I should look around for some more in the area.

Amy said...

Nova,

That strawberry tart looks amazing! I am so happy that Fiddleheads is finally becoming a reality. We were reluctant to join when we were in CT because we did not think it would really happen during our time there (which it didn't) but iti s now! What a great thing for New London. If you liked Animal, Mineral, Vegetable, you should read Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma. It was really informative, and even a fun narrative.

The Pampered Bride said...

That looks like so much fun! I had heard of co-ops while watching a Discovery documentary on them. I figured that kind of thing halted in the winter. I will have to check out VA co-ops. What a beautiful Valentine Cake! Lucky men to have such a good cook and baker in the house:-)
We already eat organic foods but sounds like this book you receommended has some good stuff. Thanks Nova!