Wednesday, July 30, 2008

california dreaming

Since the end of July is nearly upon us...how about some tales of California travels from June?

I had a conference to attend in LA toward the end of last month, so we decided to take the whole family and call it vacation (we do this a lot, in case you haven't noticed a trend here). We had some good times in the southern part of California, mostly because we got to see family again. And there are some people who are into the whole beach thing (I am not one of them--odd for a seal, I know; but, there you are).

We had a chance to take the Pup sailing for the first time. For people who know me and the Papa Seal, I don't have to go into what a big deal this was for us.

And, also we got a chance to see Shamu at Seaworld; the Pup is, clearly, a fan.

And then of course there was the Mouse's House (um, his summer home?).

A place for both the young and the young at heart. Whatever, the hats were free.

I was able to see a friend from undergrad days, I hadn't seen J in 9 years so it was fun to get together; also, she owns rabbits--clearly this is what set the parameter for "fun" for the Pup.

And then I went solo to my conference which was sited at a hotel as well as The Getty (a great place to have a conference, by the way). It shall never be said that special collections librarians do not know how to rock (well, it'll probably be said; but not by anyone in "the know").

After three days of dialoging about rare books in the digital world, the boys picked me up and we explored LA. The Pup cheered on the Bruins--sure he does this at whatever college or university is local to our travels; but I thought this shot especially winning (anyone in the public affairs department at UCLA should feel free to contact me about marketing, heh).

We found a place for me to buy fiber related goods (the Pup also likes to peruse).

And then we said goodbye to California and came home. It was a good trip.

There are a ridiculous number of photographs in flickr of this whole excursion. You will probably care more about them if you are related to us or we saw you in California during this trip. But of course, there are some good shots of the Pup looking cute (none showing him throwing tantrums as these are moments best left uncaptured for the ages).
Next report...Colorado.

2 comments:

The "M" Family said...

Glad you guys are having a wonderful summer. Also, CONGRATS to Papa Seal! Hope y'all are well.

Anonymous said...

A month...a whole month...surely you have been wandering somewhere!